Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Week of Contradictions

This has been a strange week for me. I have gone from the highs of happiness to the lows of sadness in just a matter of hours. From speaking of birth to speaking of death. It really puts the transient nature of life in general into perspective.

My best friend's mom died of Lou Gehrig's disease this week. Anna Marie and I have been best friends since high school, going on 14 years now. I've known her whole family, including her mom, that long too. I was at her house alot and I remember her mom made the best bread and would usually send some home with me. I was a bridesmaid in Anna Marie's wedding and she was a bridesmaid in mine. Her mom came to my wedding and I remember that even with the disease, she looked beautiful all dressed up. It was the last time she would ever get dressed up. She died in her sleep sometime late Sunday night/early Monday morning. She simply didn't have the energy to continue breathing and quietly slipped away.

Wednesday morning we heard the baby's heartbeat for the first time and I cried a little because I was so happy. It was an affirmation of life. Wednesday evening we went to Dana Dorotik's viewing and I teared up a little there too when I saw her laying in the casket. It was an affirmation of death. This morning my mom and I went to her funeral. It was a beautiful service, if such a thing can be said of a funeral, and I don't think there was a dry eye in the church. There was a graveside service afterward, which we did not attend. Anna Marie later told me that each of them - her dad, herself, and her sister and brothers - took a white rose from the arrangement my family and Jessie and I had sent and laid it on their mothers casket for a final farewell before she was laid to rest. That made me cry a little too. I have their family in my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment